Sunday, January 15, 2006

By This Axe I Rule!!!-I am lazy so I am changing the rules.

Okay, if I try to critique the Conservative platform, I will be here until the next federal election so I will only browse the book and give rebuttals to random topics of "change".

"Toughen the Lobbyists Registration Act
Under the Liberals, lobbying government – often by friends and associates of Paul Martin and other Liberal ministers – has become a multi-million dollar industry. Senior Liberals move freely back and forth between elected and non-elected government posts and the world of lobbying. Liberal lobbyists have accepted success or contingency fee arrangements where they don’t get paid unless they deliver the policy change their clients want."
(Source:Conservative Party Platform 2006)


First of all, my previous post stated that the role of the Members of Parliament is to represent the people of their constituency. Also, a lot of people who vote for their party, also contribute...so that means that if a MP votes for something that would benefit their riding, they could be booted out of office. The Conservatives would place a 5 year ban on any Member of Parliament from working as a lobbyist. So if your life is politics, you cannot become involved in any role in politics for 5 years. I say this because the definition of lobbyist is as follows:
"A group of persons engaged in trying to influence legislators or other public officials in favor of a specific cause"
If your cause is say....getting a political party in power.....then you cannot work for them for 5 years. Also, say a disaster hits BC and there is flooding in the BC interior, a former Prime Minister who was loved by the country could not appeal to the government to obtain more money for disaster relief.
Next is to ban success or contingency fee arrangements. Now, if I pay for something, I want to make sure that it will do what I want it to do. If I am getting my house built, I am not going to give the contractor all of my money and hope he gets it done. NO, I would pay him parts of the total amount until I am satisfied that the job would be done. Also, if you hired a hit man, would you pay him all of the money with his word that he would kill the mark. NO, who the hell would trust a man without morals to do a job without some sense of certainty that it would be done right. (Again I am aware of the irony between my hit man statement and the Conservative party)

No comments: